We are BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com.
We are the ones who empower people to get where they are going. Whether theyâ€™re taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether theyâ€™re heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we operate multiple brands:
Booking.comÂ â€“ Weâ€™re the transport arm of the worldâ€™s leading travel booking site.
Rentalcars.comÂ â€“ The worldâ€™s biggest online car rental service, putting customers behind the wheel at over 50,000 locations worldwide.
RidewaysÂ â€“ Finding the best way for each customer to get from A to B.
ConnectÂ â€“ Bringing our tried-and-tested magic to our partnersâ€™ sites, delivering seamless travel experiences through brands our customers already know and love.
With our HQ in Manchester, weâ€™re part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we are proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 1,600+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other peopleâ€™s. Itâ€™s easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search â€œManchesterâ€™s coolest officeâ€ and see for yourself.
And weâ€™re in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, weâ€™re part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
- Frictionless customer experience driven by data, machine learning and AI
- Cloud by default with continuous delivery, infrastructure as code and automation at our core
- Domain based SOA ecosystem organised around Product
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products and operate in a DevOps environment
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on product metrics and non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
Our Engineering Principles
Deliver when we say we will
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Engineering Manager who will take the lead on engineering brilliant solutions and shaping our new future.Â We expect you to have the energy and passion to proactively lead multiple teams of engineers that use a range of technologies and have a solid understanding of modern engineering practices. Your skills and experience should align to the following:
- Demonstrable experience of leading one or more teams of Engineers
- Demonstrable experience shaping the Products from conception through to delivery at scale
- Demonstrable experience of working in Agile environments and more importantly an Agile culture and ethos
- Demonstrable experience of influencing and driving both the Engineering strategy
- Demonstrable experience of being a thought partner for Product and the Business
- Must understand technology and have a background in the digital online space
- Natural leader and communicator who is collaborative and builds great relationships
- Well versed in Engineering Craftsmanship and quality including design patterns
- A solid understanding how the web works starting at the request through to the response
- Good commercial acumen
Other beneficial skills and experience
- Servant leadership approach by default when leading teams including situational leadership and coaching
- Proficient in the delivery management of Engineering teams
- Strong influencer of senior stakeholders and business strategy
- Developing and shaping architecture
- Cloud based technologies
- Experience of working with external parties and third party vendors
- Able to go hands on with development teams when required
- Building a DevOps culture
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Lead, inspire and motivate Engineering teams at scale across product teams
- Line manage teams of Engineers
- Engineering delivery, quality and practices within your team including delivery management
- Lead by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating
- Delivery of the Engineering strategic objectives
- Thought partner for Product to define and build a pipeline of features
- Get into the technical detail where required to coach, support and mentor the team
- Embed Agile ways of working and values within the organisation
- Engineering Craftsmanship including coaching and mentoring the team
- Developing engineering talent in the team
- Fostering a great engineering culture who innovate, work as a team and celebrate success
- Implementation of the architecture across your Product Groups
- Adhere to the default principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Operate in DevOps environment including on call escalations
About Our Parent Company
BookingGo is a part of the Booking Holdings Group, the worldâ€™s leading and most valuable travel group. Other group companies include: Booking.com the world's leading online hotel reservations agency, Priceline.com, Agoda, Kayak and OpenTable. The Booking Holdings Group is a publicly traded company (Nasdaq: BKNG) and was ranked in Fortune's 7 fastest growing technology companies in 2014 as well as being one of Fortuneâ€™s most admired technology companies.