Responsive breakpoint debug
Location: Fountain Street, Manchester
Who we are?
We're BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. We're the ones who empower people to get where they're going. Whether they're taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they're heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.Â
To do that, we offer car hire to our customers through our Rentalcars.com brand and car hire, taxis and ticketed transfer services through Booking.com. We also have a B2B solution, Rentalcars Connect, providing great ground transportation options to the customers of our partners
With our HQ in Manchester, we're part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we're proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 2,000+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people's. It's easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester's coolest office" and see for yourself.Â
And we're in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we're part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.Â
Where we are going
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products in a Continuous Delivery DevOps environment
- Revolutionise our online customer experience through a great web site and mobile app
- Data driven decisions using Kibana, Hadoop, monitoring, Big Data, MI and MVT testing
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled service orientated architecture with resilience and adaptability built in
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (rising to 28 days after 3 years of service)
- Great discounts on accommodation, car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Database Administrator who will push the boundaries on engineering brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future.Â We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering and security principles.Â We also expect you to take the lead where required.
- Demonstrable experience of managing infrastructure on high volume transactional server estates
- Responsible for implementation and ongoing administration of infrastructure based on both SQL Server and Hadoop
- Security awareness & practical experience, supported by good design & technical knowledge
- Experience and interest in systems automation and systems programming, demonstrable experience of developing automation and orchestration in a large database server environment
- Able to contribute to defining and implementing the working standards and practices
- Able to share knowledge and provide training to colleagues
- Ability to define and contribute towards long term technical roadmap, ability to assess, design and improve system architecture to promote performance and scalability
- You will have the ability to make a significant impact and take the responsibility to do the right thing
- Knowledge and experience required:
- SQL Server experience
- Scripting skills (TSQL, PowerShell, Python or similar)
- Working within the BookingGO Engineering team, defining working standards and practices and providing feedback to teams
- Working with in house Security team to keep our systems secure
- Actively monitoring the performance and stability of the database estate at BookingGo, using your analytical skills to anticipate future problems and resolve them effectively
- Use your deep expertise in query and storage optimisation to constantly remove bottlenecks and improve system performance / reliability.
- Propose, develop, implement systems and system architecture, security and automation/orchestration.
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems with other systems administrators, database administrators, software developers, and commercial business colleagues.
- Supporting the rapid development and deployment of internal software and systems.
- Provide excellent service in response to commercial business requirements
- Documenting systems and communicating technical knowledge to colleagues
- Participate in an on-call rotation for out of hoursâ€™ support