At Rentalcars, weâ€™re on a mission to help people discover and do more. Putting the customer back in control, giving them maximum choice, great value, total transparency, and customer service that really cares.Â
Today, there are three members of the Rentalcars family.
Rentalcars.com: The worldâ€™s biggest online car rental service, with over 1,500 staff speaking 42 languages, empowering travellers at 50,000+ locations worldwide.
Rideways: Finding the best way for each customer to get from A to B, in pre-booked taxis and chauffeur-driven cars.
Rentalcars Connect: Bringing the magic of Rentalcars.com and Rideways to partnersâ€™ sites, so customers enjoy a seamless booking experience through brands they already know and love.
Our aim is to be everyoneâ€™s first choice in ground transport. Delivering market-leading choice, value, transparency and service, wherever they are and wherever they need to go.
Weâ€™re part of The Priceline Group, the world leader in online travel and related services, along with Booking.com, priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable.
Engineering is a multi-skilled group of over 200 people responsible for providing the technology to enable the Rentalcars.com business.Â It is a fast paced, dynamic, exciting and driven environment providing services on a 24x7 basis.Â We provide all the touch points for our online customer experience through a market leading app, a great web site and all the software services and business systems to manage our customers and products. Our goal is to create a great customer experience across all platforms which help us deliver growth for our business.Â
We have a great journey ahead and our vision is to radically change the working practices to realise our ambition of being a â€œWorld Classâ€ engineering function and the â€œTechnology Employer of Choiceâ€ in the Northwest and beyond.Â Make no mistake we have a challenging journey ahead but we are committed to delivering a great customer experience across web, mobile, call centre and partner channels and this is where you could fit in.
Where we are going
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products and operate in a DevOps environment
- Revolutionise our online customer experience through a great web site and mobile app
- Data driven decisions using Kibana, Hadoop, monitoring, Big Data, MI and MVT testing
- A full continuous delivery pipeline using Bamboo, Git and Artifactory
- Automation of tests, deployments and repeatable tasks
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled service orientated architecture with resilience and availability built in
- A world class service delivery function
Our Graduate Programme
- 2 year programme
- The programme allows new graduates to join the Engineering department and gain experience working in various teams across the department.
- The programme places an emphasis on giving participants learning opportunities and supporting them to grow into the roles theyâ€™re interested in
- Graduates are rotated every 6 months (end of March, end of September) during the programme to give them exposure to different teams and technologies, increasing their opportunities to learn
- Graduates will be assigned a buddy to support them during the programme
- Based on performance the graduates will have the opportunity have pay increments at 6 month intervals during the programme
- Graduates will start as a Software Engineer Level 2, their goal is through development and experience is to achieve Software Engineer Level 3 at the end of the programme
Skills we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Graduate Software Engineer who will push the boundaries on engineering brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future.Â We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering principles.
- Good understanding in writing good quality object-oriented code using PHP or Java
- Understanding of design patterns and frameworks such as MVC or Spring
- Understanding of database technologies such as MySql, SQL Server
- Understanding of web services and APIs ideally REST based
- Understanding of major browsers (including dev tools) and platforms (Linux, AWS)
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit, cycle hub and break out spaces
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
- Build high quality solutions in line with guidance and best practices of the department
- Sense of ownership and the quality of the solutions you produce
- Adhere to the defaults principles for Architecture, quality and non-functional requirements
- Collaborate with the team and others to deliver high quality solutions
- Develop reusable libraries, APIs and code that are easy to maintain, understand and re-use
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Work with the team to size and estimate work
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices of the department
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Supporting live products in a DevOps environment
- Have fun
About Our Parent Company
rentalcars.com is a part of the Priceline Group, the worldâ€™s leading and most valuable travel group. Other group companies include: Booking.com the world's leading online hotel reservations agency, Priceline.com, Agoda, Kayak and OpenTable. The Priceline Group is a publicly traded company (Nasdaq: PCLN)Â and wasÂ ranked 4th in the Fortune's world's most admired companies in 2016.Â Â