Weâ€™re BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com.
Weâ€™re the ones who empower people to get where theyâ€™re going. Whether theyâ€™re taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether theyâ€™re heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we operate multiple brands:
Booking.com â€“ Weâ€™re the transport arm of the worldâ€™s leading travel booking site.
Rentalcars.com â€“ The worldâ€™s biggest online car rental service, putting customers behind the wheel at over 50,000 locations worldwide.
Rideways â€“ Finding the best way for each customer to get from A to B.
Connect â€“ Bringing our tried-and-tested magic to our partnersâ€™ sites, delivering seamless travel experiences through brands our customers already know and love.
With our HQ in Manchester, weâ€™re part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, weâ€™re proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 1,600+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other peopleâ€™s. Itâ€™s easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search â€œManchesterâ€™s coolest officeâ€ and see for yourself.
Engineering is a multi-skilled group of over 250 people responsible for providing the technology to enable the Rentalcars.com business.Â It is a fast paced, dynamic, exciting and driven environment providing services on a 24x7 basis.Â We provide all the touch points for our online customer experience through a market leading app, a great web site and all the software services and business systems to manage our customers and products.Â Â Our goal is to create a great customer experience across all platforms which help us deliver growth for our business.
Where we are going
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products in a Continuous Delivery DevOps environment
- Revolutionise our online customer experience through a great web site and mobile app
- Data driven decisions using Kibana, Hadoop, monitoring, Big Data, MI and MVT testing
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled service orientated architecture with resilience and adaptability built in
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic Engineering Manager â€“ Production & Database who will push the boundaries on leading a considerable engineering function to deliver brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future.Â We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering principles.
- Demonstrable experience of leading multiple engineering teams, specialising in ecommerce production environments
- Solid technical depth across production & database infrastructure with strong experience of working in an Agile organisation
- Strong leadership skills with a highly technical support team, ability to motivate and inspire teams of technical specialists
- Experience preferable of designing, building, operating and maintaining:
- Linux server environments consisting of configuration management tooling and techniques
- Mysql database environments consisting of complex and critical replication topologies
- Architecting database infrastructure, scale and being aware of data warehousing
- Preferably, knowledge of NoSQL databases
- Experience of agile working and embedding agile working practices in infrastructure teams
- Ability to coach/guide/influence others
- Quality focus to deliver quality solutions first time, going hands-on when required
- Ability to drive automation and improvement of infrastructure management capabilities
- Manage the priority and quality of work, ensuring delivery is met against agreed timescales and to expected standard
- Excellent communicator, leads from the front. Collegiate in approach, consulting widely and communicating effectively to all levels within the organisation
- Robust & resilient, a completer / finisher with an attention to detail
- Analytical in approach, tenacious and driven by results, wants to win
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Responsibility and accountability for production and database infrastructure services and teams
- Lead multiple technical teams, leading by example by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating, be a technical partner for the wider business working with stakeholders to define and shape quality solutions
- Get into the technical detail where required to lead, coach, support and mentor the teams
- Take the lead on the design, build and delivery of high quality solutions, build and deliver upon roadmaps for the production & database teams
- Embed and lead on Agile practices and values within the teams, evangelise best practice, creativity and innovation across the team to deliver great work
- Leading technical resource during operational issues & investigations
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices across the department, support the organisationâ€™s drive towards a devops culture
- Definition and execution of appropriate technical working and engineering practices
Other beneficial skills
- Strong experience of Continuous Delivery and Agile practices