We are looking for a Head of Commercial who has strong experience of leading a commercial team to drive the teamâ€™s strategy and deliver profitable business growth in line with business objectives.Â Must have a can-do attitude, be a self-starter and fully immerse themselves across all the commercial elements of a business, whether that be setting the financial budget, forecasting, pricing & supply strategies, negotiation, supplier relationship management or developing new initiatives to drive growth. Experience of working in a senior leadership team across functions and business departments will be important in making the greatest impact.
This would be a unique chance to join a small team within the Rentalcars.com business, being run independently and with a start-up feel â€“ and hence the chance to make a significant mark in delivering the commercial strategy, shaping the outcomes of the business and the shape of the commercial function. We expect you to grow with the business and the role, keeping pace with the phenomenal growth in performance and team we are experiencing.
Rideways is a ground transportation service launched by Rentalcars.com, offering everything from taxis to shuttles, trains & buses across more than 850 airports and 120 countries worldwide, and communicating with customers in 22 languages. We are rapidly expanding both in creating a unique B2C proposition as well as offering fantastic partnership potential through B2B channels. We are part of the Priceline Group, the third largest e-commerce company in the world (only Amazon and Alibaba are bigger).
We are a multi-skilled group of over 70 people, working in a fast-paced, â€œstart-upâ€ environment sharing all the upsides of being part of a bigger business, but with the speed, drive and autonomy of an independent, growth-stage entity.
Rentalcars.com is the worldâ€™s largest online car rental reservation agency - arranging nearly 9 million rentals a year in more than 53,000 locations worldwide.
As a part of the Priceline Group, we are a member of the worldâ€™s leading and most valuable travel group. Other group companies include: Booking.com the world's leading online hotel reservations agency, Priceline.com, Agoda.com and Kayak.com.
Who are you?
- Commercially aware & possessing a strategic mindset, able to identify business opportunities and deliver against them
- Able to process and act on detailed commercial data
- Highly analytical, with a methodical approach to problem solving
- Great leadership and organisational skills, able to manage and deliver multiple products and projects simultaneously
- Excellent communicator at all levels â€“ in discussions, on paper and delivering presentations
- Strong negotiator with excellent influencing skills
- Hands-on & can-do attitude in an environment that is rapidly changing
- Proven track record in people recruitment, management, motivation and development
- Have an entrepreneurial ability to develop new products and exploit growth opportunities
- Naturally build strong and lasting commercial relationships
- Prepared to travel as part of the role
- Leading trading of our products across different markets to drive volume and profit growth
- Developing and delivering winning commercial, partner acquisition and product strategies in different markets
- Prioritising team focus & direction around strategy, and effectively delivering against targets
- Creating and continually enhancing a partner acquisition â€œengineâ€ to ensure the best possible coverage, range of options, competitiveness and quality
- Developing and leading key partner relationships
- Leading key partner negotiations and creating joint business plans
- Identifying turnover / margin growth opportunities in conjunction with partners
- Understanding our markets, customers and partners to anticipate market trends and identify and deliver opportunities for growth
- Ensuring a fantastic partner experience of working with us, through great communication / management and coordinating the Product teams to deliver a frictionless experience
- Maintain a consistent set of standards and simple terms, to improve our customer proposition and provide clarity to our partners
- Deliver an outstanding quality of service for our customers through close quality management of our partners, through all available mechanisms
- Building, leading and developing a high-performing Commercial team to deliver the above responsibilities
- Improving Commercial team ways of working and generating efficiencies in approach
- Handling key day-to-day queries that impact commercial performance of the business
- Supporting development of improved MI, tools, ways of working and training programmes
- Ensuring a strong connection with the wider Commercial community in Rentalcars.com
- Leading the team negotiating the details (e.g. type or terms and conditions) of products with partners and ensuring the accurate definition of products across our sales channels
- Developing new products and enhancing existing product portfolio through recognising opportunities, requirements and being accountable for the end-to-end delivery of products through working with Marketing and Product teams to advertise, develop and deliver the products to customers
- Developing tracking and improve the competitiveness of the offer through monitoring relevant comparable pricing and products
- Leading the creation of an automated pricing management system that maximises Revenue, utilising sound Revenue Management techniques
- Initiate weekly Trading Reviews to track progress against volume and margin targets, identify growth opportunities and risks and agree actions to address them
- Regularly forecasting performance vs. targets and updating strategies and plans accordingly
- Negotiating the best rates, commissions and promotions with our partners
- Defining Commercial team role between a focus on cost and revenue management
- Generating and maintaining outstanding partnerships, including developing and achieving the commercial and customer strategy and objectives of both sides
- Researching and developing opportunities for working with new partners to broaden customer choice and to achieve volume and margin growth
- Driving exceptional team performance through defining and supporting delivery of performance objectives through regular one to ones and monthly reviews
- Continually assessing and addressing team training needs
- Demonstrating excellent personal performance and effectiveness, professionalism and ethics
- Developing and maintaining professional working relationships across the business with all key internal departments to drive the best customer experience possible
- Working in collaboration with Customer Service Managers to ensure timely resolution of customer service cases
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent â€“ at least a 2:1 (ideally in an area relevant to the role)
- Significant and proven commercial, partnership development and negotiation experience including senior commercial roles â€“ ideally in e-commerce organisations
- Experience of P&L responsibility and management of sizeable teams
- Trained with a blue-chip consumer focussed organisation
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications, especially basic/intermediate use of Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in additional languages
- A knowledge of or experience in the travel industry