Responsive breakpoint debug
Location: Fountain Street, Manchester
Deliver impactful insights to complex problems using large datasets.
As we continue to grow at record pace, we are encountering challenges of increasingly complexity in our drive to deliver the best possible car rental experience for our customers.Â Both for prioritisation & for execution, we need highly skilled mathematicians to make sure that weâ€™re delivering the best possible value outcomes for our customers, our supply partners and ourselves.
To fill this need we are establishing a data science team, which will lead the program of analysis we think will secure our continued profitable growth. The Junior Data Scientist role is a key member of the team, taking ownership of discrete problems from problem definition, through to outputs & recommendations.Â You will work alongside other members of the data science team and directly with commercial stakeholders to deliver insights to the most interesting & complex problems that the business is facing.
The role will involve significant opportunities for learning and for progression.Â As you progress you will be expected to take on increasing amounts of analytical & commercial ownership of the problems that you are solving, developing not only your analytical toolkit, but also your communication, commercial awareness & stakeholder management skills.Â As one of the first members of the team, you will have the opportunity to quickly grow your role as the team grows.
For a flavour of the kinds of questions weâ€™ll expect the data science team to take on initially â€“
- How should we rank and order cars on our search results to maximise conversion and make sure customers get a great experience?Â
- How should we structure our rewards scheme to maximise repeat bookings profitably?
- What benefit can we expect from increasing the speed at which we answer customer service phone calls?Â
- Why do customers unsubscribe from our mailing list - can we predict it and prevent it?
In this role you will:
- Transform large, complex datasets into pragmatic, actionable insights
- Explore our datasets & pull out messages that others canâ€™t see
- Leverage our data to identify, quantify and deliver business value
- Package the outputs of your analysis to communicate clearly to non-technical audiences
- Work directly alongside commercial stakeholders
- Guide stakeholders through problem definition & scoping of analysis
- Communicate clearly with stakeholders throughout analysis, use your initiative to draw out broader themes or insights of relevance to other areas of the business
- Clearly define expected outputs & timelines & deliver against those objectives, alongside senior members of the data science team
- Generate commercial hypotheses & begin to build business cases for new work
- Help to define our analytical standards
- Stay abreast of appropriate technologies & educating the analytical community on the right tools for different analytical tasks
- Help us to define the appropriate level of analytical rigour to trade-off vs. speed & impact of delivery
- Become a subject matter expert
- Be a resource for analysts & the wider business, coaching & guiding them on your area of expertise
- You are a skilled mathematician
- Masters, PhD, or equivalent experience in a quantitative field (computer science, physics, mathematics, engineering, bioinformatics, etc.)
- Strong programming skills
- Excellent data analysis skills. Strong working knowledge of Python, Hadoop, SQL, R and/or Excel.
- You are able to communicate technical messages well to non-technical audiences
- Able to distil complex analysis into the key messages required for the audience
- Able to abstract from technical aspects of model to guide stakeholders through process
- Able to defend analytical approach & explain benefits & drawbacks regardless of audience
- You are ambitious & motivated by impact
- As an early member of a small team, you have the ambition to grow the team and your role
- Your focus is on commercial impact, rather than analytical perfectionism
- You are able to deliver quickly & effectively in a fast-paced commercial environment
- You are a fast learner
- Youâ€™ll quickly develop your understanding of the business aims & tailor your approach to deliver
- Youâ€™re able to independently develop new skills where the problem requires
No commercial experience required â€“ weâ€™re much more interested in your potential!