Rentalcars.com is looking for a frontend software engineer to join an exciting new team within the business.
Working on a significant new product,Â your role will involve delivering and enhancing an exciting new multi-tiered high performance website. You will work in a small Agile team using a broad range of leading edge technologies.
This is a fantastic opportunity to experience the excitement of working in a start-up atmosphere with the backing and security of a large and very successful e-commerce business supporting you. Â
We want people who will thrive in a start-up environment, who are motivated, enthusiastic about technology, have the drive to deliver and succeed and always have the thoughts of both the customer and the business in mind when delivering.
Rideways is part of The Priceline Group [NASDAQ: PCLN], the worldâ€™s leading provider of online travel & related services. Together with Booking.com, priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, Rentalcars.com, and OpenTable, the group mission is to help people experience the world.
We are a ground transportation service launched by Rentalcars.com, offering everything from taxis to shuttles and trains and buses, and we are growing rapidly across both B2C and B2B channels. We are just over 2 years old, and yet already operate across 120 countries and more than 850 cities globally. We are the fastest growing part of an already very-fast growth ecommerce business.
Our team is a multi-skilled group of more than 70 people, working as a separate group within the broader business. We have a fast-paced, â€œstart-upâ€ environment sharing all the upsides of being part of a bigger business, but with the speed, drive and autonomy of an independent, early-stage start-up.
We have big ambitions and next year we intend to scale both our business and the team in Manchester massively. Â Weâ€™re aiming to deliver millions of rides to millions of customers next year (compared to the ~8 million annual bookings of Rentalcars.com), alongside at least doubling the size of our team. Come join us to be part of one of the best product-focused growth stories in the North-West, contribute to our success and learn a huge amount in the process!
The main responsibilities of a Software Engineer:
- Delivering excellent frontend components for the systems websites with clean design principals and clear user journeys.
- Writing tests to maintain quality within the product base.
- Liaising with senior engineers and technical staff and suggesting appropriate technical solutions to problems.
- Working in an agile environment, ensuring the appropriate balance is struck between delivering and providing a quality product.
- Teach and mentor more junior members of staff as we grow.
- React JS
- HTML / CSS
- UI/UX Understanding and principals
- Extensive knowledge of cross-browser specific issues
- Restful web-services / JSON
- Testing Frameworks (e.g. Jasmine, Mocha, Ava, Cucumber)
- Build tools, (e.g. Grunt)
- Have worked in an Agile environment.
- Google APIâ€™s
- JIRA, Bamboo etc.
- Progressive Web Apps
- React Native
Candidates applying for the role of Software Engineer are required to have the following:
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience
- Roughly 3+ years commercial experience as a front-end developer or similar role
- Front-end website development experience including HTML, CSS and ReactJS
- Extensive software engineering experience in modern web development tools and frameworks
- Ability to write high quality code and experience with MVC and IOC frameworks
- Experience of TDD and proven ability to write and maintain automated test suites
- An ability to understand technical requirements and provide timescales for delivery of features.
- Familiarity with Agile development and experience of working in an Agile environment
- Experience of troubleshooting problems throughout the lifetime of an application
- Experience of working with code repositories for example Git, SVN
- Experience of having mentored more junior colleagues
- Demonstrable experience of collaboration with non-technical stakeholders
- Eagerness to learn and maintain pace with upcoming web standards and technologies
- In-depth understanding of Continuous Integration systems such as Hudson or Jenkins
You will get from us:
- A market leading salary in Central Manchester with a fast growing .com.
- The chance to make a real contribution to an exciting rapidly growing product.
- An opportunity to accelerate your career and quickly progress into a more senior role with a globally growing Internet business.
- Lots of interesting and challenging full-stack development work using the latest technologies.
- A fantastic working environment - a friendly, informal, vibrant and comfortable place to work.Â We employ circa 1000 in Manchester and due to the global nature of our business we have 65 + different nationalities in our Manchester offices.
- The opportunity to work within aÂ multidisciplinaryÂ team of developers and designers in an environment containing multiple development teams. We employ circa 45 Java developers across different teams in the business.
- An opportunity to attend coding events within the business such as lightning talks, code dojoâ€™s and hack days.