Rideways is part of The Priceline Group [NASDAQ: PCLN], the worldâ€™s leading provider of online travel & related services. Together with Booking.com, priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, Rentalcars.com, and OpenTable, the group mission is to help people experience the world.
We are a ground transportation service launched by Rentalcars.com, offering everything from taxis to shuttles and trains and buses, and we are growing rapidly across both B2C and B2B channels. We are just over 2 years old, and yet already operate across 120 countries and more than 850 cities globally. We are the fastest growing part of an already very-fast growth ecommerce business.
Our team is a multi-skilled group of more than 70 people, working as a separate group within the broader business. We have a fast-paced, â€œstart-upâ€ environment sharing all the upsides of being part of a bigger business, but with the speed, drive and autonomy of an independent, early-stage start-up.
We have big ambitions and next year we intend to scale both our business and the team in Manchester massively.Â Weâ€™re aiming to deliver millions of rides to millions of customers next year (compared to the ~8 million annual bookings of Rentalcars.com), alongside at least doubling the size of our team. Come join us to be part of one of the best product-focused growth stories in the North-West, contribute to our success and learn a huge amount in the process!
Where we are going
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products in a Continuous Delivery DevOps environment
- Revolutionise our online customer experience through a great web site and mobile app
- Data driven decisions using Kibana, monitoring, PowerBI and A/B testing
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled, cloud-based service orientated architecture with resilience and adaptability built in
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
- Develop & maintain the core infrastructure environment
- Support Rideways.com product development teamâ€™s infrastructure requirements
- Build, test and automate the build of new test, stage and production infrastructure
- Automate system builds and improve deployment efficiency over time
- Build effective monitoring to monitor the health of systems
- Profile infrastructure resource usage, and optimize and tweak as necessary
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
Skills we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic DevOps Engineer to join our current AWS DevOps Team. You will push the boundaries to deliver brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future.Â We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering principles. Primarily focussed on AWS and automation using Cloudformation (Troposphere) & CodeDeploy you will manage to overall infrastructure, identifying and remedying the pain-points to ensure site stability. As the company is undergoing a period of significant growth you will be working to build a scalable infrastructure that meets these requirements.
Your skills and experience should align to the following:
- Solid foundation in Linux administration and troubleshooting â€“ certifications a bonus
- Experience with building, operating and maintaining complex and scalable systems
- Strong AWS skills: Cloudformation, AWS CLI, CodeDeploy, RDS, ECS
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language (Python/Bash/Ruby) â€“ preferably python
- Exposure to configuration management tools (Ansible/Puppet/Chef) â€“ ideally Ansible
- Good knowledge of metrics & monitoring systems (Sensu/Cloudwatch/Kibana/Grafana)
- Working knowledge of containerisation in production (Docker/ECS)
- Experience of continuous integration and automated testing
- Capable of configuring popular database engines and orchestrating clusters as necessary
- Ability to plan resource requirements from high level specifications
- Capable of troubleshooting common AWS Infrastructure issues
- Familiar with tools that can aid with profiling server resource usage and optimizing it
Other beneficial skills
- Demonstrable experience of working in an Agile software environment with Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery using Git, Bamboo/Jenkins and SCRUM.
- Experience of Application Performance monitoring using AppDynamics (or NewRelic).
- Experience of some of the following would be a plus:
- Apache, NGINX, Tomcat
- Amazon ElastiCache, Cloudfront, Elasticbeanstalk & RDS
- Working with Java, NodeJS & PHP deployments
- Bamboo, Jira, Confluence
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible, SaltStack or Docker
- Brainstorming new and innovative ideas that improve efficiency and/or business results.
- Solid understanding of Software Engineering, Computer Science and Agile Delivery principles